Monday, September 11, 2006

Take Me Out to the Ballgame

On a whim, I decided to jet to Drayton Valley this weekend to watch Jason partake in an annual family Slo-Pitch tournament. We still don't have cable or internet at home (in Saskatoon), and I didn't have as much reading as I thought I might for school, so the decision to drive to Alberta was an easy one.

The weather was gorgeous, and it was great to see the In-Laws, and of course, my Hubby. My nephews are still the cutest, and my Mother-In-Law (heh heh) takes good care of us.

Now that I'm back in Saskatoon, sitting in the Law Library (with internet access ... yay), I thought I'd summarize my thoughts and findings on the first week of law school.

1 - When you send your acceptance of an offer to attend a law school, they have you send in a passport photo of yourself. WHY? Because they make class lists for all the profs with your name and picture. There will be no hiding out from questions made to the class. I'm not sure if there's any other reason, but this one I've seen with my own eyes!

2 - While there is a lot of reading in law school, there is also a lot of downtime, and if you're diligent, there should be time enough to do it all. Of course, due to the load, I see the snowball effect being entirely too dangerous. I, therefore, will attempt to stay on top of my reading. I have stuck with my philosophy of treating law school like a job (so far), and have been at school at 8:00 everyday (even though my classes start at 10:00), and I have had more than enough time to do all my reading at school. While, I understand, that the readings will increase in volume etc. etc. etc. ... I also have had time to surf the internet at write long blog entries ... so ... I think I'll be OK. Frustrated, and perhaps stressed ... but OK.

3 - There are lots of people that use laptops in class for notetaking, and lots that don't. I'm one of the latter, as I find that when I actually handwrite, my retention is better.

4 - Having a locker in the law building rocks. I'm so tired of feeling like a pack mule, hauling all of my stuff around, and as I develop my routine, it is so great to have a place to drop off the computer and the textbooks. I am in love with my locker.

5 - The first few weeks of school seem key for signing up for various things. Not only are there tons of administration type things that need to be done, tuition, books, opting out of health and dental coverage, etc ... but signing up for clubs, signing up for campus rec classes, these all happen quickly, and I can see how easy it would be to miss a deadline.

6 - While the first day of school was scary, it wasn't half as bad as I thought it would be. Everyone was really nice and chatty, and within a few minutes you'll have met enough people that you have a good group of "friends".

And now ... I better get back to reading so that my pompous claims above (about easily keeping up) don't prove to be false.

No comments: