Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Orientation - Day 1

Ahhh ... Orientation Day. With the crisp sent of fall hanging in the air, I marched my flip-flops through dewy grass covered campus and found my way over to the Law Building at U of S.

I arrived in good time at 8:00, prompt - as requested in our orientation instructions - to take 20 minutes to register, and then wait for about an hour and a half. My advice to anyone starting Law at U of S next year - don't arrive until 9:30 (although, there was coffee and doughnuts up for grabs ... mmmm ... doughnuts). Upon registering, you do get to grab loads of free stuff. There was a (pleather?) folder from Osler, a canvas laundry bag from Thomson Carswell, lip gloss from Borden Ladner Gervais, and post-it flags from Gowlings, which I grabbed.

The Dean gave us first years an introduction to the faculty, and gave us a brief introduction to law school. He seems very funny and smart, and has a very calm demeanor. Not at all oppresive or unapproachable. We then broke down into groups of 20, and with 2 profs and a senior law student, we introduced ourselves and had a chance to ask any questions that may have come up for us so far.

Next, the provided us with lunch, pizza and fruit, and I skittered off to get my U of S ID card, which I need to get access to the gym. Ya'll know how good I've been with my gym streak - I must keep it up!

We came back to some brief talks from the librarian, and a couple of others (I must admit, I was nodding off, not to hack on anyone that talked at us, but it was right after lunch, and boy was I drowsy). Next, we got a briefing on "Life after Law", from a Lawyer's vantage. This speaker was eloquent, and entertaining. I was held in rapture. Definitely something I enjoyed. It was at this point that I really started getting excited about the journey that begins today.

We got paired up with siblings from the upper years, watched the ground-breaking ceremony for the new law extension that is supposed to be finished by fall of next year, and attended a BBQ.

I met some fabulous people, am easing into the "sitting through a lecture" mode, and got loads of free stuff. What's not to love? Heh heh.

This cr@p post will have to do, since I'm technically STEALING this internet signal right now (yikes - don't tell on me ... and ... if you have a wireless router, put a damn password on it so that people can't steal it), as my internet isn't getting hooked up until a week from today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your going back to school? Oh, you poor woman!!

Good luck with that! :)