Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I'm Sick of Lines

I'm so tired of waiting in mass line-ups, but hopefully, I've just finished my last one for the year. I thought that the locker line-up was bad - it was a vacation in Mexico compared to the parking pass line-up this morning.

I panicked after my classes last night, as I did a drive-by of the parking office to make sure that I knew where it was. People were already setting up tents etc. to spend the night waiting in line for the first-come-first-serve parking pass sale that was to happen this morning at 8:00.

I decided to come and see what I could get, regardless of feeling the futility.

I got to the parking office this morning at about 6:15, and parked my layered-up keister on the cold, cold cement to begin the wait. Waiting for 3 hours outside at this time of year was a cold, cold endeavor. I was freezing, regardless of my mittens and big boots.

In order to ensure the most comfort possible, the U of S did provide a few creature comforts. A port-a-potty was situated close at hand - for those souls that braved the night long wait. Also, at 7:30, donuts and coffee were delivered to the front doors of the Maintenance building, where all those in line were free to partake - this was a move that I was super impressed with.

I was through the line by 9:15, and had in hand my Stadium Parking pass (yay). Made me very happy. The lot Y passes went first, then lot P and the Stadium parking passes were going after that. I believe that pretty much everyone that went should get a pass (as to whether it was their first choice for a lot or not, I'm not sure).

Moral of the story: If you REALLY have a lot preference, rock on and wait in line overnight ... if you're not so partial to one in particular, you could probably show up at 7:00 AM on parking pass morning, and get a spot without having to freeze your butt off to the extent that I did.

Now - I should be set up. I've got two lockers, all my books, tuition is paid, dental and health benefits have been waived, I've got a parking pass, and I more or less know my way around campus. Should be smooth sailing from now on. Only took three weeks.

All that's left is to find the perfect time to hit the grocery store, so that with my basket of 20 things (when the express lanes are closed for some reason) I don't get stuck behind a cart full of supplies that someone is clearly hoarding in case of natural disaster, no reasonable person (or housefull of reasonable people) would ever go through that much food in a lifetime. Let me know if you have any advice/tips on beating the grocery store madness.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As for lineups at the grocery store I find that the smaller Extra Foods stores are better if you need just a few things. If you have a large list and want to save money, then Superstore it is - go early on Saturday (sucks not to be sleeping in)or wait until later in the day (but they don't restock quickly and many items are unavailable). I strongly suggest staying away from stores on Senior's Day - although Co-Op is good with respect to lineups when it isn't just before or after five o'clock (I guess this could apply to all grocery stores). There's also a farmer's market that runs (not sure for how long in autumn) near Peavey Mart on Saturdays. If Safeway is to your taste then make sure you sign up as a 'member' or whatever the heck it is because you'll get ripped off on some items if you are not a member. As for meat - Co-Op is the best, hands down. Haven't mentioned Sobey's or any of the others because I simply do not shop there. Also, depends on where you live and the proximity of grocery stores.