Monday, September 18, 2006

Home Sweet Home

It's amazing how just a few days at home can recharge me like nothing else. There's nothing like sleeping in your own bed, and being in your own home ... I got time to meet some friends for drinks, go for breakkie with my family, chill with Jason at home (which made him remark that he now knows where all his time goes when I'm home - chillin' on the couch), shopping with Mom, and dinner at the Parent's house. It was fabulous, and I was so happy to be there, and now I'm ready for another week of law school.

I've been thinking for awhile about a compare and contrast between the University of Calgary, where I did my undergrad degree, and what I've seen of the University of Saskatchewan so far. Here's my list, as has been compiled in my head over the last few days (I want to add more, as I think of things ... if anyone else has anything to add - let me know through the comments):

U of C:

- Included in tuition, all students get transit passes (which consists of a special sticker being put on your student ID card, your student ID card then becomes a transit pass for the school year). This is such a huge PLUS ... since here in Saskatoon a student bus pass for one semester is $200. I understand that Saskatoon is smaller, etc. but I'm finding the decision to buy a full semester long bus pass to be too big a commitment to make.

- Student's Centre is way bigger, with way more options for FOOD! I'm finding the food court options lacking at U of S, and while they do have a Tim Horton's, which U of C does not, they don't have anywhere near the many cuisine choices.

- The Information Commons at the U of C rocks. It's a floor in the library that has piles of computers available for student use. It's open 24 hours some days of the week, and it is super convenient. Perhaps U of S has something similar, but I haven't come across it yet. I've just seen smaller computer labs which are great, but often booked. There's also some PCs in the hallways of the student centre, but you have to stand at them, it's not somewhere you'd go to write a paper.

U of S:

- Getting a student ID card, and standing in line at the book store on the first few days was a DREAM compared to these things at the U of C. The staff at U of S are organized, and quick. They're well oiled machines that get lines moving fast. This was HUGELY appreciated.

- There is SCHOOL SPIRIT, which isn't limited to campus. EVERYONE loves the Huskies; they wear Huskies clothing, they attend Huskies functions, they talk about the Huskies on the radio, they talk about student functions in general on the radio, and everyone goes to Huskies games. This was something that I didn't notice in Calgary - that tangible and elusive feeling of community and togetherness, and common goals and objectives. It's here - in droves.

- Campus is gorgeous. It's hard to resist wanting to be here. The buildings are regal, and the landscaping is luscious. U of S wins hands down in this area.

- Lowest tuition for law school in Canada. Nuff said. (Besides McGill, apparently ... I've been mislead! How embarassing - thank you to the anonymous commenter that corrected me)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not quite the lowest tuition for law shcool in Canada....that prize would go to McGill