Tuesday, September 19, 2006

A Few Interesting Things

A couple of things that are interesting (to me, in any case) that came up in class today.

First, in my Torts class, the Prof was explaining how different perspectives may lead to proceeding on the same incident in different ways. He offhandedly remarked "...if you're a fault kind of person ..." in which he meant, whether or not you're the kind of person that likes to find fault somewhere, or the kind of person that needs to find fault somewhere.

It got me to thinking - am I a fault person? I really don't know. I think that finding a cause can be helpful, and not only provide some peace in some situations, but can certainly help explain how to prevent them in the future - but sometimes when you find a cause, you find that nobody is really at fault at all. I think I'm okay with that - with nobody being held accountable if nobody is accountable. I guess that I wouldn't be a fault person.

I suppose that as the year goes on and I analyze more tort cases, I'll see more which way I really lean ...

Secondly, in our Property class today, we went over a case today, which involved the issue of whether an Advanced Degree obtained over the course of marriage constitutes matrimonial property when the marriage ends (i.e. does the non-degree earning partner deserve half the value of the degree?).

So ... in the case we discussed, it was found that the wife would receive half the value of the law degree that her husband had earned while she supported him (although, it wasn't actually called "property").

Heh heh heh - but ... in Canada, as per our Prof, advanced degrees are generally NOT found to be property. How funny and personally relatable.

Lastly, today in our Criminal class, the Prof did a lot of talking, and in the lulls in his lecture, I was struck by the sound of the feverish typing on the laptops in class. It wasn't that people were typing - but the sound of the soft and gentle clicking. It reminded me of a Star Trek: The Next Generation episode. Yeah, that's right, I'm a nerdy Trekker (which, if you know anything about Star Trek means that I'm a TNG girl, as opposed to the Trekkies, which are into the original series).

After a bit of googling and Wikipedia surfing, I found it. It's "Schisms", and it's about some crew members waking up every morning as though they'd never slept, and having crazy recollections about wierd things ... like a clicking sound. When it all gets put together - they've been abducted by aliens and had experiments conducted on them. Yup ... that's what criminal law class will now always remind me of - alien abductions.

Yikes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

regarding 'fault' - if a woman is married then her husband is at fault; his mother is the source of the fault and his father is an accessory to fault. All of his previous girlfriends are faultless and smarter than the woman who married him. If you decide to become a divorce lawyer, let me know. joking . . . sort of