Thursday, July 19, 2007

Transfer Watch 2007 Has Ended

Lisa and Jason are moving to Saskatoon.

Yup ... did NOT get the transfer to the U of C. I'm not as upset as I thought I would be. I'm definitely disappointed, since I really love my home, I have truly valued being close to my family over the summer, since they are such a huge support system for me, and we have strong financial and community ties here ... but ... what can you do?

My decision to apply to transfer had nothing to do with U of S as a school or institution, so I am excited to return in the fall to a school that I love. Having Jason there with me should make for an easier time over the next few years, and we're looking at it as a two year adventure.

Especially appealing is the prospect of getting to enjoy the renovated version of the U of S law school that should be ready for the fall. I can't wait to get into the new building that I didn't know I'd get to see.

The thought of leaving Calgary for two years is the part I'm struggling with. Last year, I knew I was temporarily in Saskatoon, and I had a lot of weekend trips home. With a two year commitment to be in SK, I'm going to need a period of adjustment.

And now ... to organize a move. Double groan. How traumatic is moving? At least last year I only had to pack up one bedroomsworth (yes, it's a word, because I said so) of stuff. Now ... I have a whole entire house to pack up. Yuck!

Ah well. Such is life. Even though I'm not upset (which trust me, I wasn't expecting), I still feel like I may need some cheering up. Well ... not exactly cheering up ... more ... encouragement. Yeah ... I need people to encourage me that living in Saskatoon for 2 years will be fun, fabulous and exciting.

One thing that is for sure is that I can try and live a bit more of a normal life while I'm there, this time around. I had so many of my weekends occupied with trips home that my weekdays were beyond hectic. For the next two years I should be able to spread out some of the work I was doing during the week, and even sign up for a sports team or two (something I REALLY missed last year). I'm thinking curling ... or indoor soccer. AND ... yoga. I'd love to joining a yoga studio again, and actually get my moneysworth out of the membership fee.

7 comments:

Christy said...

Sorry your transfer didn't work out. At least you get to have your DH there with you now. It will makes things much better. One of my best friends just moved to Saskatoon for her medical residency, but she is there all by herself. Not having the best time.

cdwells
-WBer

Lisa Hutch said...

THANK you for your kind words! DH there will be the best (as long as it works out ... we were looking at jobs for him last night, and they looked to be about 1/3 of the salary as what he makes in Calgary ... so hopefully that's not the case in reality, or he's staying in Cowtown).

Either way - PM me your friends details, I'm going to need friends that aren't in school with me, some "outsider" friends, as it were. That would be so awesome!

Anonymous said...

Two more years in Saskatoon will be great!

If I were you, I would eat at Keo's Kitchen at LEAST once a week, check out all the cool shows that happen at the Bassment (a jazz club that also hosts a lot of S-toon's experimental/indie bands - look for a band called No Birds), and generally enjoy the neat atmosphere. I've always liked Saskatoon, and I still maintain that Keo's is the best Thai food in Canada.

Best of luck, lady!

-gozer

Lisa Hutch said...

THANK YOU! This is EXACTLY what I needed to hear. Hubs and I checked out Bud's for music, last year, and I saw some bands @ ... umm ... it's a Mexican type restaraunt off Broadway, can't remember the name right now ... but we've been looking for a good music venue. Also, will definitely check out Keo's Kitchen.

YES! I'm feeling better!

Simeon said...

Sorry to hear about U of C. But, as you said, you still win!

Anonymous said...

Oh, the place you're thinking of is Amigo's! They do have good shows sometimes, but beware because they also have crappy shows.

KC said...

Is the building really going to be done in the fall? That would be awesome (Kirk Hall sucked) but I thought it would be a few months before it was ready.