Saturday, July 14, 2007

Dear Out-Of-Town Drivers

I see you driving around Calgary, with either your exotic license plates or with your freshly washed rental cars, and I know why you're here ... Stampede is a pretty cool time of year with a lot going on. I'm happy that you're visiting my fair city, in fact, I welcome you.

BUT ...

... when you notice the locals slowing down to the speed limit at what seems to be a random time on a long stretch of road, trust us that it's for a reason.

There are known spots where the Police will do radar, or where by-law officers will park their photo-radar vans, and we know where they are.

Over the last week, I've seen TONS of out-of-towners get busted for speeding, and it just doesn't have to be that way.

I don't have anything against speeding, but speed smart! Watch the locals ... and do as the Romans do. Trust us. It'll save you money, time, effort, and grief!!

Today, on Memorial Drive heading West, across from the river, I saw about 3 people get caught by a photo-radar van that I knew had to be there and had slowed down for. When the obvious out-of-towners whipped around me at about 70 km/h (I had slowed to the speed limit of 50 km/h), it pained me ... it hurt, especially when I saw the photo-radar van parked exactly where I knew it would be.

So visitors to Calgary, enjoy the Stampede, party it up, see what we have to offer, but PLAY SMART for goodness sakes ... help us ... help you.

No comments: