Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Driving 101 and Maybe I'm NOT a Clutz

Look people, I know that I'm not the only one that knows this, but I see examples of the following frustration EVERY DAY. A MERGE is NOT the same as a YIELD.




When approaching a merge, keep in mind that by design there is enough room to speed up to the posted speed limit, and change lanes smoothly and without incident. With a merge, there is equal responsibility - so most people will be nice and make room for you. I personally have never had to slam into a concrete wall or drive off the road because nobody made room for me. DO NOT STOP when you are faced with a merge. SPEED UP. MOVE OVER. ANYTHING ... just don't stop. You will cause accidents by stopping, because people who know that a merge is there are getting ready to speed up - NOT LOOKING FOR YOUR A$$ STOPPED ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD. Whew. It bothers me.

By the same token, when faced with a YIELD, do just that, yield right of way. CRIPES ... it's not rocket science. Just wait for a gap, and then rock on. Feel free to stop in a yield if there's no room for you to get in on the traffic action, in fact, please do!

That's the end of that particular rant. For today.

On the news they just reported that female athletes in general seem to have greater incidents of joint injury than comparable men - they think because of the menstrual cycle and hormones having an effect on the looseness of ligaments making women move differently ... perhaps something I can blame my ankle injuries on besides PURE CLUMSINESS! Although, I agree with the comments that strengthening my muscles is key. At least I can still walk.

Tomorrow is my last day of work. Weird. I'm not really sure how I feel about it - kind of excited - kind of sad - kind of nervous. I'm a freakin' bundle of chaotic emotion ... but in a low gear ... I'm pretty content with the new situation that I'm moving into. Exciting times at Lisa High.

I really need to get out there, though, and try on more jeans.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Actually, at least in Saskatchewan, their is not equal responsibility in a merge situation. The vehicle on the right (thus the incoming vehicle) has the right of way, and the drivers on the throughfare must either speed up, slow down, or change lanes to allow the incoming driver to join traffic.