Monday, July 24, 2006

You Win Some, You Lose Some

It was beautiful at the U of C campus this morning, and my visit to the bookstore did prove useful. While the "Synthesis: Legal Reading, Reasoning and Writing in Canada" book didn't show up anywhere that I could find, I did find the following textbook USED, for a $25.00 savings on what I would have paid NEW in SK. Thought I may as well buy it, and spread out the pain of handing over far too much money for my textbooks this fall.

Contracts: Cases and Commentaries by: Boyle and Percy

I did end up staying up and watching Billable Hours last night, and while it was a cute and quirky Scrubs-type of show, I don't think it makes it into my Trifecta of must watch shows. I'm still looking for that one show that will make it with America's Next Top Model and Big Brother. Scrubs is a show that makes me laugh out loud, and this episode of Billable Hours was only a Hans Solo half-smile kind of show. BUT ... it was good enough to give it another chance. We'll see how it is next week.

For lunch, my Husband took me to Sushi Kawa on 4th Street, where I got to indulge in my all-time favourite sushi roll - the Alaska roll. It has Salmon, Avocado, and Cream Cheese. Mmmmmm ...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, a reflection on textbooks. Christine Boyle was my Crim prof, oddly ... I thought she was fantastic. Good luck getting all your other texts. At my school they ran a used book sale early on, so you might find some stuff there.

KC said...

I was a 1L at UofS law last year. I can tell you that my copy of "Synthesis" collected dust on my bookshelf. I may have opened it once. I think the same applied to most of the rest of the class as well.

Lisa Hutch said...

Good to know - I won't bother unless I feel the need then! I love the good advice I'm getting!

KC said...

I thing they tell you to read part of it for the first day. I know I didnt. Im sure someone who actually got duped into buying it will let you read theres.

Lisa Hutch said...

That is freakin' hilarious! Thank goodness for you guys ... I'm going to forget about that book for now, and try and do exactly what you've suggested ... if I ever find I need it - borrow it from someone!

Anything else that wasn't particularly useful that I could avoid spending my hard-earned cash on?

KC said...

Not a lot no. Unfortunately (if you are like the rest of us) you will end up spending a bunch EXTRA on textbooks for various classes. Peter Hogg's student edition of Constitutional Law in Canada is a big seller. Makes that class considerably easier. There are also books by Benson & Bowden (both UofS profs) and Ziff that make property considerably easier. One thing I would suggest is (when you get your password this fall) there are books available on "Quicklaw" that are a big help in torts and criminal law that were a big help for me.

There is also a series of books called "______ law in a nutshell" they are very unhelpful.

Do you have Ilg for contracts?

Lisa Hutch said...

I'm not sure who I have yet - I haven't gotten my Registraton package yet, and last time I checked PAWS it didn't show anything.