Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Stealth Mode Post

Shhh ... don't tell anyone ... I'm at work, and a thought struck me on the drive in, that I just had to log before I forgot. Why is it that the best thinking time is in the car, when you can't write anything down?

Thought: Adjusting your side mirrors properly.

Now, I know that side mirrors are a personal choice, and that there are many different schools of thought on this issue, but I am TIRED of almost being lane-changed into by mini-vans. MINI-VANS of the world, it is possible to eliminate your blind spot. I know you don't believe me, but when I was 16 years old, my parents had a 12 passenger Chevy Beauville van, this is what I learned to drive on. After that, we had a GMC Safari van ... I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!

The technique (I read this quite a few years back, and have adjusted my mirrors accordingly since then):

1. Sitting in the driver's seat, lean your forehead against the driver's side window (when it is closed PEOPLE, I know I'll get a question/comment otherwise).
2. Adjust your Left side mirror so that you can JUST see the side of your car/van/bus/mini (yes .. the mini get's it's own vehicle category) etc. from this position.
3. Move your head so that it sits somewhere between the driver's seat, and the passenger seat.
4. Adjust your Right side mirror so that you can JUST see the side of your car/van/bus/mini etc. from this position.

When you try this configuration out, you will notice that when a car drives up from behind you, in one lane over, you will see them in your rear-view mirror, and when you can no longer see them in your rear view - you WILL see them in one of your side mirrors. GOODBYE blind spot. No joke - tried, tested and true.

MINIVANS of the WORLD - EMPLOY THIS TACTIC and you will save poor little car drivers like myself the the mini-heart attacks that accompany us on our various commutes, as we think that we'll be squashed by one of your clan.


In addition to the thought, I have a few tid-bits.

Tid-Bit #1:

My sis' Kristin got a new job. Congrats to her! She'll be working for a local organization that works in the mental wellness of youth. She starts August 1, and is ever so excited.

Tid-Bit #2:

In celebration of K's new job, we hit the restaurant that came so highly recommended to me by my colleagues, that it borders on legend ... one of those places that you don't really want to tell people about because then far too many people will go, and you won't be able to get in.

It's Italian, it's on the fringe of Kensington, and it's fabulous. We made a reservation for 8:00 (on a Tuesday night), and thank goodness that we did - it was AWESOME!

I hesitate to identify it, since it is such a gem, but if you plead your case with me, if you make me believe that you're worthy of knowing, I may let you in on this little secret. But ... your case will have to be strong. We're talking - persuasive writing here people.

Ooops ... I think my stealth operation may have been compromised - better run.

No comments: