Thursday, November 23, 2006

Sitting at Home, Writing my Memo

Sigh (of contentment). It's super snowy and mildly cold here in Calgary, but I'm loving every second of it. Even the fact that I'm busy working on an assignment isn't getting me down.

I got to have coffee with a friend of mine that's home for American Thanksgiving (she lives in Texas), which was a treat, and a good way to get my brain going for all the rock-star legal writing that I've been allowing to pour out this afternoon.

It's been a slow start to the Open Memo writing process ... the research took awhile, but I'm happy with the things that I've found. It's awkward, almost. I know how to write, I know how to research, and I know how to read cases - but putting it all together in one spot ... it's like I'm learning to ride a bike. By the same analogy, I hope that it gets easier as time goes on. I feel like it would ... but I guess only time will tell (unless anybody wants to leave me a reassuring comment ... it might make me feel better).

I've finally refined the bare-bones legal structure part of my memo into something that I really like. It took longer than I thought it would, but I feel like this may be the most important part. Now ... for applying the law. This is where I'll have to incorporate most of my rogue research (i.e. what I call cases that weren't covered in class). SCARY!

Jason and I are hitting up Costco tonight, I have to get some ink for my printer in Saskatoon. I find that I like printing things out so that I can highlight them, mark them up, refer back to them etc.

Ah .... Duty of Care ... how I love you as a concept, but not as a friend ...

1 comment:

Yorick said...

I agree- there is a major difference between editing on a computer screen and actually holding the paper in your hands. I suspect it has to do with the tactile and three-dimensional aspect of the process- editing is so much more intimate than drafting.