Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I'm Fighting the Neuroticism, and I Think I'm Winning

The comment left on my last post is what really helped. My goal today is to NOT check the U of C website in the hopes that I can continue living a normal and meaningful life free from the ticks I develop every time I check myUofC and see no change. While I had hoped that the ticks would constitute "exercise" while sitting at my desk all day ... the mental affliction that comes along with the ticks is enough of a detriment to make me search for exercise in the form of a walk at lunch instead.

In the pursuit of my "normal and meaningful" life, I went for dinner last night with some friends (one of my Saskie roomies, it was her B-Day, and some of the girls she knows from school here in Calgary). We went to Melrose and enjoyed a nice dinner and drinks. It was funny being back at Melrose, which is where I met my husband. Here's an excerpt from our wedding website:


It's a place that's near and dear to my heart (cough, cough ... sappy, I know). I've had some great girls nights out there, and it was funny to do a spin around the bar when I've been gone for awhile.

Oh yeah - and since I've decided to NOT focus on the transfer thing, I need everyone to mentally will the loonie to reach 1$ US. My Father-In-Law made a promise to my Mother-In-Law and I if the loonie gets to 1$ ... and it's a really good one! So ... brain waves unite! Let's get that loonie above and beyond the US dollar!!!

One of my U of S classmates is in town for a "firm tour". I got to talk to him for a bit, which was nice. Weird, since my worlds had been so segregated ... it was like Saskatoon and Calgary worlds crashing together. I've been so focused on the transfer deal, and normalizing myself to living with my Husband back in Calgary, that it hasn't occurred to me that things like "firm tours" actually take place.

For a second it made me feel like I should be initiating like connections and tours, and then I realized that this is the rub of law school. It is so hard to acknowledge that you have quite enough on your plate, I always feel like I COULD be doing more. You can see how it is so easy to fall into a lifestyle where you actually do work 20 hours a day (or something equally ridiculous). The thing that I've learned about myself is that in each decision that I make, I want to make it according to how I actually want to live my life. NOT according to how others are living theirs, or according to what I think I COULD do ... but according to what is best for me and my family. Spending all summer thinking about anything other than what I've already got going on inside my head would truly send me over the edge.

Ya KNOW?!?!?!?

PS. I love the show Scrubs.

1 comment:

tartanfrog said...

Can't wait to hear about your successful transfer!!! We also want the CDN dollar to go to "par" so we can finally transfer our CDN funds across the border! After that, it can go right back where it started. Hope that doesn't sound too unpatriotic... just looking out for the little bean!