Thursday, September 13, 2007

Whew!

I finally feel some semblance of order among the chaos.

I'm mostly caught up with readings, and even a little ahead in some classes.

Most of the things that I've had to have sorted out have been sorted (administration wise).

Our move is on schedule for this weekend.

I caught some excellent zzzz's last night ... BUT ... my eye is still twitching. Aurgh.

I'm excited this year, because I'm going to try a few new things, one of which is volunteering for Campus Legal Services. There's some lunch available tomorrow for people that are interested in learning more about volunteering with this organization, as well as with Pro Bono, Classic, and Scales of Social Justice, here's the PAWS announcement about it:

ProBono Students, CLS, Classic, and Scales of Social Justice are having an information meeting for all interested first years on Friday September 14th from 11:30-12:30 in Commerce 46. Lunch will be served.

Please come out and learn how you can get involved in these organizations. If you have any questions, please email:
campuslegalservices@hotmail.com
probono.sask@usask.ca

Also - just saw the new College of Law website, exciting. Looks a lot more modern.

As for me, I'm plugging along. It's been tough not having a phone at my disposal, but I'm making do, and it won't be long now.

It is so chilly here today that I can see my breath outside. Don't get me wrong, I love a real fall ... the kind of fall that inspires wool sweaters and hot chocolate, mittens and scarves, and running through leaves on the ground. BUT ... I wasn't expecting it quite yet. Ah well, I suppose we get what we get, so we may as well enjoy it.

As for my classes so far, here's the run-down:

Wills: Like the looks of this class. Seems like it'll be a Lisa kind of course, the Prof equated it to the logical games section of the LSAT, which was nothing but fun for me (yeah, I know).

Debtor-Creditor: Once I wrap my head around the unfamiliar lingo (this is where having an Econ or Commerce background would help), I think this won't be too bad. Looks like a lot of material to get through, but the Prof makes sense.

Evidence: Haven't had as many of these classes, Prof has had the flu. So far though, readings make sense, aren't too overwhelming. Should be good. Really seems to touch on EVERYTHING else that we learn, so that's neat.

Business Organizations: i.e. Corporate Law, this class has an OVERWHELMING amount of reading, which has been a struggle to keep up with already. It is super interesting though, and the Prof frames it in a really thought provoking way. Again (like Debtor-Creditor), I feel a little out of my element, and feel like I'm spending a lot of time with the dictionary, but I think it'll come with time. This is another course that I'm seeing reflected back in many of the other course's readings - especially Debtor-Creditor.

Health: Love it so far, interesting look at health care providers and how the law works to protect them, and to protect others. I like reading these cases because the context is so familiar to me.

All in all, all of the Professors really seem to be amazing authorities on their subjects. I'm really excited to get into it this semester, especially since I've already been piecing things together for myself, on an abstract level.

Anyhoo - off to do some reading ... yup, never ends, but I think I'm on track for a manageable semester. Hopefully.

Big Brother 8 tonight. SO EXCITING!!!

No comments: