Wednesday, February 17, 2010

So, I've Been Busy?

I've had some epic blogging pauses before, but I think this one may take the cake.

I'm still here.

I'm still articling.

I'm still loving it.

Why the humongous hiatus? In an acronym ... CPLED. I'm now finished 4 modules out of a total 9. I've had 2 of the in-class sessions (where we were assessed on a mock Chambers Application the first time, and on a client interview the second time), and 2 online modules that consist of written assignments (the Debtor-Creditor module, and the Real Estate module).

The online modules consist of a weekly assignment, optional learning exercises ("LE") that lead up to the compulsory competency evaluation ("CE") at the end of the unit.

Even though the LEs are optional, I've been doing them all. It's really been worth it when it comes to the CE, as much of your ground-work is done, and you can focus on doing a good job with the writing aspect.

So why the absence in blogging? I wouldn't say that the CPLED assignments are DIFFICULT, but they are time consuming. There is a lot of reading (if you do it all, which I do), and the CEs have many subtelties that sometimes take me awhile to flush out.

Over the past few months I have started quite a few draft posts, but just haven't had the time to finish them.

So ... hopefully I can check-in once in a while and do a better job. I really did want to relate how my articling experience was going, and give a flavour for what to expect.

I must admit, though, that it can be difficult. There are, of course, confidentiality issues to consider, and so I can't talk too much about work. There is a CPLED professional integrity policy, and so I can't talk too much about CPLED. I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to relate my experience without losing too much meaning through necessary vagueness.

Ah well.

In terms of my articling experience, my CPLED in-class time has been so enlightening. Being able to compare experiences with other articling students has really made me thankful for the position that I landed. I've been so hands-on, I've been able to see so many things, and I really do have confidence in what I'm doing (even when I don't know what I'm doing, I know that I can always SOMEHOW find an answer). I'm lucky that I have a principal who MENTORS. Hopefully, I can really take advantage of that resource while I still can. I'm about half-way through my articles now, so there's a light at the end of the tunnel (egads).

No comments: