Tuesday, August 01, 2006


Two Days to Go

That's right, two more work days to go until I'm done, done, DONE! It's pretty unbelievable. I'm trying to wrap up loose ends, and package together some useful information for my colleague that will be taking over my duties. It's all happening so fast!

A few updates - I tried jeans on at Sears, a couple of types of Levis. One wasn't too bad, the other wasn't too good ... both showed off a little too much butt cleavage ... and both were far too short in the inseam. The search continues.

I rolled my ankle again today. The first injury took place before I started this blog, back in May. May 21, to be exact. I was working night shifts monitoring some logs, and was tired from working a 60 hour week. I was wearing my crocs (we can save the love/hate debate on crocs for later), stepped off a curb, and almost LOST MY MIND with pain, when I rolled my ankle. I have a picture, and believe it or not, it swelled even more than when I took this pic. It got about mandarin orange size. Crazy. It took about 2 months for the swelling to completely go down (no, it wasn't broken, yes, I had it checked by a Doctor). I had just started playing soccer again, etc., and when I was walking across the road today in my cowboy boots - it happened again. It hasn't swelled quite to mandarin orange size this time, but it's definitely about ping pong ball size. Sigh. There goes soccer for the rest of the summer. I'll get over it, but I'm sure in the mood to be whine-y over this ankle thing. POOOOR ME!

1 comment:

Yorick said...

I sprained my ankle once playing Ultimate Frisbee- about as bad as one can sprain it and not break a bone. Hurt like hell, to be honest.

Once you get a serious sprain (such as the first one you garnered) your propensity for sprains will grow, since the tendon is not as strong as it was.

Two bits of advice:

After it feels better, still don't trust it for a while. Just because you can walk on it without pain doesn't mean it can handle the forces placed on it while running.

Second, try to strengthen the muscles that support the tendon- they'll be needed to replace the lost strength. Once it's healed, stand on a beam that shifts with your weight and work the muscles that are used to flex the foot side to side- but take baby steps at first, and stop if you feel any discomfort. Also, walking on a bumpy dirt road can help strengthen your ankles as well.

If your muscles are strong enough, they can compensate for a weakened tendon, and hopefully you'll avoid spraining it again in the future.